Wednesday, April 16, 2008

High dose vitamin E lengthens lives of Alzheimer's patients

According to a study that was presented to the American Academy of Neurology this week, of 847 subjects with Alzheimer's (average age 74) who were followed for 15 years to track survival rates, those who were taking 2000IU of vitamin E per day appeared to extend their lifespan by 26 percent. Those taking cholinesterase inhibitors, an Alzheimer's drug, and those who did neither the vitamin E or drug, showed no survival benefit. No adverse effects were seen in the subjects taking vitamin E.

Bonnie - this is a large amount of vitamin E and should only be prescribed under the auspices of a licensed health professional. A colleague and one of the foremost geriatric therapists in the country has touted vitamin E in high doses for years for Alzheimer's and dementia.

1 comment:

justbee said...

My mother had Alzheimer's. It is a very difficult disease to have, witness,and deal with. I would want my family to keep me comfortable and let me go. I would not want them to spend their inheritance and precious time keeping the shell of me alive. One must ask, who is being served by extending the life of someone with this terrible affliction?