Coconut is a wonderful, healthy fat choice for brain function, is high in phosphorous, niacin, riboflavin, and when consuming coconut meat, fiber.
Here are several recipes (gluten-free) that would be good milk substitutes. Use Thai Kitchen brand or other "Lite" brands for weight loss or maintenance. Use regular coconut milk for weight gain. Read labels to make sure they do not contain sulfur dioxide, sweeteners, or artificial ingredients.
Non-Alcoholic Pina Colada
- 1 c. coconut milk
- 4 oz. pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple, drained of juice
- 1/2 c. ice cube chips
- Whip all in a blender until smooth. Serve immediately.
- Serves One
- 1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 c. rice, quinoa, or potato flour
- 2 T. butter or substitute, melted
- Spread thin layer of coconut on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes or until toasted. Then combine coconut with flour and butter in a medium size bowl. Toss with two forks until coconut is thoroughly coated with butter. Press mixture firmly onto bottom and sides of 9-inch plate. Bake for 10 minutes until lightly browned and refrigerate for cold pies. For baked pies, fill and bake according to pie directions.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cc. pure maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup
- 2 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a baking sheet. Combine eggs and syrup in a medium size bowl. Add coconut and mix well. Drop by teaspoons onto prepared baking sheet, Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wore racks.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 c. pure maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 T. finely chopped almonds
- 2 T. finely chopped coconut
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or unglazed brown paper. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in syrup, continuing to beat until whites are stiff but not dry. Fold in vanilla, almonds, and coconut. Drop by teaspoons onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Reduce heat to 250 degrees and bake for 10 more minutes. Allow kisses to cool on the baking sheet, then remove gently. The foil/paper can be peeled off.
- Yields 2 1/2 dozen