Tuesday, April 07, 2009

L-Lysine to treat shingles?

Courtesy of Joe Graedon, Teresa Graedon, The People's Pharmacy

Comment - After chemo treatment, I had two bouts with shingles. Knowing that this is a herpes virus, I treated myself with L-lysine as I often do for cold sores. The discomfort and rash disappeared in less than a week. My oncologist was very interested to hear this and has been successful using L-lysine for other patients with shingles.

PP - Prescription antiviral drugs such as Valtrex or Famvir can be helpful against shingles. Many people say L-lysine works for cold sores. We have never heard that this amino acid might also work against shingles.

Bonnie - I never thought about L-Lysine either, but it makes perfect sense. I would recommend 1500 mg. daily until symptoms go away. Then taper off to 1000 mg., 500 mg. over the next week before stopping. I also recommend a very successful protocol that should be in addition to the L-Lysine. Monolaurin (natural antiviral), Quercetin + C, B-Complex, and Zinc. Dosage varies depending upon age.

No comments: