Saturday, January 02, 2010

Neti Pot, Nasal Rinse Warning

Steve - nasal irrigation using "neti pots" or rinse bottles are often used to clear the sinuses, soothe cold and allergy symptoms, and decrease sinus infections. But now preliminary research suggests that chronic use might actually increase the risk for sinus infections. Researchers suspect that chronic irrigation might alter normal nasal secretions and wash away protective immune mediators. Some experts (we are in this camp) think that contaminated neti pots and rinse bottles might be the contributing factor to increasing infections. Here are some tips going forward:
  1. Use boiled, bottled, or distilled water in the neti pot for irrigating.
  2. Wash neti pots with hot soapy water after every use and never to share them with other people.
  3. Those using rinse bottles should switch to a new bottle monthly.
  4. Those of you who continue to get frequent nasal infections, consider a trial off irrigation to see if that helps.
  5. Limit nasal irrigation to once or twice daily to minimize irritation or on an as needed basis.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that nasal irrigation helps with sinus but it can also help with sleeping. I use a modern day version of the neti pot called Naväge. This thing is amazing! It\'s a small hand-held device that works with 3 AA batteries. I put a bottle of the nose rinse (I love the eucalyptus one) in the top, press the button and it used gentle suction to pull the rinse through my nasal passage. No awkward tipping of the head, no messy clean-up. Just better breathing. I have warded off the annual fall sinus infection and have been sleeping through the night which is a miracle on to its self. Here\'s to better health and better breathing!

Linda said...

Where did you purchase the Navage? I use the one that you tip your head, etc...and it's annoying. Thanks,
Linda

Unknown said...

Question – I use occasionally use a nasal rinse bottle. In the spring and fall I may use it several times a week. At other times of the year I may not use it at all. Since I don’t use it regularly, how often should I replace it?

nutrocon@aol.com said...

Each month during Spring and fall seasons. Do not let it sit though the summer and winter opened.