Monday, March 23, 2009

Chronic steroid use can cause osteoporosis

Courtesy of The Daily Herald

Q. Most of my life, my doctors have prescribed steroids for my eczema and psoriasis. Now, a bone-density test shows that I have the bones of an elderly woman. (I am only 50.) I am 5 feet 5 inches and 110 pounds, and this greatly concerns me. I will never take osteoporosis medication because the side effects are terrifying. How can I reverse this? Will sunshine and calcium help?

A. Chronic use of steroids can lead to osteoporosis. I assume this is the cause of your problem. I urge you to start taking 1,000 milligrams to 1,500 milligrams of calcium and 800 IU of vitamin D daily immediately.

I recommend you discontinue the steroid medications. Ask your dermatologist about nonsteroid treatments. While psoriasis and eczema are annoying, they are harmless, and home remedies such as medication chest rubs or banana peels can help.

As for osteoporosis medications, speak to your physician or an endocrinologist, who will be able to answer your questions and quell your concerns.

Dr. Peter Gott

No comments: