Wednesday, January 14, 2009

75% of heart attack patients had LDL readings at low-risk levels

A major new study has found that more than 75 percent of people hospitalized for heart attacks had cholesterol levels that would indicate they weren't at high risk.

Almost half of these patients had "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, levels below 100 mg/dL, which is considered optimal under current guidelines from the National Cholesterol Education Program.

The new research -- based on data from nearly 137,000 patients at more than 500 hospitals -- suggests that current LDL guidelines aren't low enough to identify people likely to have a heart attack, said Dr. Gregg C. Fonarow, lead author of the study published in the American Heart journal.

"Falsely, patients and doctors thought they were being well-protected" if LDL levels fell within the recommended range, Fonarow said.

Dr. Sidney Smith Jr., who's on a panel of experts that's revising government guidelines on heart disease and obesity, said the study makes a good case for lowering LDL recommendations. "It certainly gives us an idea on where we need to focus our efforts," Smith said.

Steve - wow are these doctors in denial. How low are they going to go? Until the entire country is on a statin?

They should be changing the guidelines to focus on cardiac inflammation. We have known for years that LDL cholesterol is only one piece of the puzzle. Quelling inflammation is much more important. Diet, nutrients, and other CAM therapies can handle this issue. In tougher cases, red yeast rice or statins may be warranted.

A study published in November 2008 called JUPITER, which involved 18,000 patients, showed that people with low cholesterol but who test positive for artery inflammation are still at high risk for heart attacks, strokes and deaths. The test for inflammation betrays the presence of a telltale protein called C-reactive protein, or CRP.

Treating people with high CRP levels dramatically reduced the number of lives lost to heart disease and the number of costly and painful procedures needed to restore heart patients to health.

1 comment:

Brate said...

In the cases of heart attack and cardiac arrest, or any other heart shocks, time sets to be the most crucial factor for the survival of the patient. Sometimes, a little knowledge regarding the immediate actions to be taken may help your near and dear ones to survive in such incidents. The response a person takes to treat a victim decides the probability of his/her survival. Its been my personal experience fighting to survive against a heart attack. A quick reorganization of your bodily responses may increase your chances of survival. Because of having many heart problems, I was enrolled in a concierge Healthcare program from elite health. I was attacked by a severe heart attack in a party, luckily surrounded by many people. Some of the sudden changes in my body was recognized by me and anticipated immediately. I got a very severe chest pain which was almost unbearable for more than a minute. I got the suspicion that I might be having heart attack, and immediately called my physician on the phone, and explained my condition and its severity. Because of the immediate guidance, I was directed immediately to have an aspirin which I used to carry with me as prescribed by my physician. It was quite a frightening experience for me to face such a heart attack, but somehow I managed to be calm until 911 arrived. I was immediately taken to the nearest hospital, where already my physician were present and have got everything setup according to my medical history. And it was in some matter of seconds that everything was in control. A doctor, who already have the complete knowledge of the medical history and fitness of the person, extra ordinarily ameliorate your recovery process. Hence such a concierge level program from Elite health, helped me a save my life, like many others.