Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Painkillers may raise heart attack risk slightly

All painkillers of the type known as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) seem to increase the risk of having a heart attack, according to a population-based study conducted in Finland. The finding applies not only to selective COX-2 inhibitors such as celecoxib but also to non-selective drugs like ibuprofen or naproxen.

The investigators evaluated data for 33,309 heart attack patients entered into the Finnish Hospital Discharge Register between 2000 and 2003. These subjects were compared with 138,949 matched "control" subjects.

Helin-Salmivaara from the University of Turku, in Helsinki, and colleagues found that current use of any type of NSAID was associated with 40 percent increased risk of having a heart attack. The risk of having a heart attack tended to decline over time after discontinuation of NSAID use, but this trend reached statistical significance only for nonselective NSAIDs.

In a related editorial, Dr. Deepak L. Bhatt, from Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio, points out that the report by the Finnish team is the largest population-based study of NSAIDs performed to date.

SOURCE: European Heart Journal, July 2006.

Courtesy of Reuters

Steve - as anticipated, the scope of NSAID's effects has widened. More research needs to be undertaken, but I anticipate that many medical scholars and health professionals alike are on high alert. As we have said for years, NSAID's are a band-aid approach for most. One needs to get to the root of the cause, and in most cases, that begins with diet. In addition, there are many nutrients available that can assist with pain relief.

1 comment:

Brate said...

In the cases of heart attack and cardiac arrest, or any other heart shocks, time sets to be the most crucial factor for the survival of the patient. Sometimes, a little knowledge regarding the immediate actions to be taken may help your near and dear ones to survive in such incidents. The response a person takes to treat a victim decides the probability of his/her survival. It’s been my personal experience fighting to survive against a heart attack. A quick reorganization of your bodily responses may increase your chances of survival. Because of having many heart problems, I was enrolled in a concierge Healthcare program from elite health. I was attacked by a severe heart attack in a party, luckily surrounded by many people. Some of the sudden changes in my body was recognized by me and anticipated immediately. I got a very severe chest pain which was almost unbearable for more than a minute. I got the suspicion that I might be having heart attack, and immediately called my physician on the phone, and explained my condition and its severity. Because of the immediate guidance, I was directed immediately to have an aspirin which I used to carry with me as prescribed by my physician. It was quite a frightening experience for me to face such a heart attack, but somehow I managed to be calm until 911 arrived. I was immediately taken to the nearest hospital, where already my physician were present and have got everything setup according to my medical history. And it was in some matter of seconds that everything was in control. A doctor, who already have the complete knowledge of the medical history and fitness of the person, extra ordinarily ameliorate your recovery process. Hence such a concierge level program from Elite health, helped me a save my life, like many others.