Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Bonnie's response to Newsweek article on soy & rice milk substitutes

I have received several inquiries of concern from clients about soy and rice milk substitutes in children. I don't understand the nature of concern. The parents in the Newsweek story gave their infants soy and rice milks as the primary source of nutrition. They were grossly mistaken.

I will say that if children are not getting enough protein in any other form, and parents think they are getting adequate protein from these milks, of course it is a problem. The kids would then have nutrient deficiencies with or without the milk. The infants in the Newsweek story should never have been weaned off formula until one year or they had enough real food. The article is right in this regard. I have seen several infants who have problems when this was done. It is says it right on the box do not substitute for formula.

As I mention to all my clients with young children, make sure they are introduced to a wide variety of foods (see my Babies' First Foods Plan), have a multivitamin/mineral, and rice and soy milks should always be enriched.

Bonnie

No comments: