Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Our Doc's Weekly eBrief: Mind Body

I recently had a patient ask me if a treatment that I did on her; which was completely different than what I had done before, could have had an effect on her emotionally? I told her that yes it could and that she was not alone in informing me that she had an emotional reaction after an adjustment.

She was very excited to report being able to process certain issues more effectively than before. She worked through some deep emotional issues for the next few days and was feeling good about the decisions that she was making. She felt so happy she asked if we could do that same type of treatment again at her next visit.

What was so special about that visit is that I applied a gentle yet deep traction and rhythmic movement on her neck and low back while she was on her stomach. Normally her neck is very sore to the touch so I often would use my gentle adjusting instruments on that area. This time my intuition had other ideas so I followed my gut and worked on her with a deep yet gentle rhythmic traction.

The reason I am bringing this up is to explain how a limitation of movement can have an effect on our mind and emotions. This has been made clear for quite a while, as exercise has often been prescribed to people who suffer from depression. The movement that occurs during intense exercise helps the body release chemicals, including endorphins and that is why exercise is so effective.

Another way to reduce restrictions in motion is through Chiropractic; which focuses directly on areas of the spine that show signs of limited range of motion. The more motion, the more chemicals can be released, the more communication that can occur with the different nerve, arterial and lymph pathways to the brain and the rest of the body. So if you are feeling stuck in your life, consider getting unstuck through chiropractic.

In health and happiness,
Dr. Liselotte Schuster
(847)509-9067

No comments: